Before fixing a malfunctioning garage door, it is important to learn how it works. Since any type of electric machine has a tendency to wear and tear with the passage of time. Even high quality and strong garage doors have tended to develop problems after a few years.
Thus, it is good to perform periodic inspection and maintenance to keep a garage door functional. If you don’t know how to perform occasional maintenance and repair tasks, it is advised to hire someone professional such as, El Paso garage door repair company to manage your garage door. The following mentioned is a brief guide that will explain the mechanism of an automatic garage door.
Understanding how a garage door works?
There are two important parts of the garage door, one is its operating system which helps to open and close the garage door, and the other is the garage door itself. Most of the problems which crop up with the garage door are because either of the two is not performing well.
Techniques for garage door repairs:
Torsion springs are used in the operations of swings up and overhead garage doors. Special metal tracks are attached at the top of the garage door to support it run upwards and downwards. If your garage door starts creating loud noises or does not move smoothly, the problem lies with the tracks or panels. Here are the helpful techniques which will help this in this regard:
- Make sure that the metal tracks of the garage door are in good physical condition. They should be aligned. Try to find out any sign of damages such as crimps, dents, or flats on them. If you successfully find any issue, use a wood piece and a rubber hammer to straighten it out. In the case of serious damages, consider replacing them.
- Check the balance of tracks and springs. Both garage door tracks should be properly aligned. If you find any discrepancy, just loosen the screws and nuts of the mounting brackets and placed them in their right position. And tighten the screws. You may use an ant spanner or screwdriver to fix them.
- Make sure that the hardware of the garage door is kept cleaned and lubricated. It is also good to use any quality lubricant WD-40 or Silicon spray every once in a while. It helps in the smooth movements of the garage door. You should also clean the tracks and rollers of the garage door with a damp cloth. If they are not able to be fixed by simple garage door repair techniques or got rusted, it is good to replace them immediately.
- Inspect the garage door thoroughly to find out any serious signs of damages. A garage door may be coming off the tracks. Its panels are damaged badly because it is not sturdy or functional anymore. If your garage door is damaged badly, consider replacing the entire garage door. Buy high quality and durable garage door in such a case.
- Check the garage door thoroughly; there may be something that obstructs the path of the garage door. Roll-up garage doors tend to jam due to the grease and junk accumulation on the path of a garage door. In this case, a garage door will open at its half path and stop. Wash the garage door using a mild household detergent to get rid of hardened greasy agents and unwanted dirty substances.
Note: Don’t attempt anything with the garage door springs on your own. It is strongly recommended to hire a professional garage door repair company to deal with the torsion springs. They are extremely dangerous and injurious components. It is good to stay away from them and get professional garage door repair services to repair or replace the springs.